The Order of the Arrow is the national honor society of the Boy Scouts. Youth are elected by fellow Scouts for exemplifying the Oath and Law in their daily life. The Order of the Arrow is based on American Indian tradition and dedicated to the ideal of cheerful service.
The Order of the Arrow strives to achieve the following:
- Recognize Scout campers who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives
- Develop and maintain camping traditions and camping spirit
- Promote Scout camping
- Crystalize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life purpose of leadership in cheerful service to others
Calendar of Upcoming Lodge Events
- Lodge executive committee meetings are held on the 4th Thursday at 7:30 PM each month (more info below)
- Feathers and Leathers – Come and learn Native American culture – Hosted by White Bear Singers and Dancers – Click here for flyer – (This is not a Boy Scout event, per se, but has historically been an event that Scouts have attended to learn more about our Order of the Arrow history and culture)
- OA Section Conclave, April 25-27, Camp McConnell
Upcoming cheerful service opportunities
Click on the links below to find out more about these projects and the opportunities that await:
HOLIDAY SOCIAL and AUCTION – December 11: Help with the auction set up and operation, from 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM. Dinner included. Funds raised at this event provide camperships. This year, at Steven’s Creek Lexus dealership. Questions: Camping@svmbc.org
Register for the Order of the Arrow
If you and/or your unit want to find out more about the activities of the Order of the Arrow or need a leadership position for Star, Life or Eagle, contact an Order of the Arrow Representative at 408.638.8325 or email OA@svmbc.org.
For those interested, the Order of the Arrow national website has a variety of publications that will answer your questions about the “Brotherhood of Cheerful Service:”
- Guide for Officers and Advisers
- Chapter Operations Guide
- Lodge Adviser’s Handbook
- Frequently Asked Questions
New Lodge Flap
The red-bordered new lodge flap has arrived and is available to current members of Saklan Lodge for $2.00. They are available for sale effective Monday, September 9 from the San Jose office and Wednesday, September 11, from the Salinas office. The limit on the patches is no more than 5 per 2013 registered member of Saklan/Esselen/Miwok lodge. The patch will be made available to interested parties at some future time and at a different price point. Interested parties should send an email to: OA@svmbc.org and put Lodge Flap Request in the subject line. (The gold-bordered patch is restricted to the 2013 Lodge Executive Committee and Advisers and will be issued in a different manner).
OA JAMBOREE LODGE FLAP
The brown-bordered Jamboree lodge flap will be made available at a future date. The lodge executive committee is discussing the distribution of this flap. If you are interested in one or more, send an email to OA@svmbc.org and put JOR Flap Request in the subject line.
Lodge Executive Committee Meetings
The Lodge Executive Committee meets on the 4th Thursday monthly. The meetings are held at the council service center in San Jose: 970 West Julian Street. Those unable to attend the San Jose location are welcome to join via the Internet. We use GoToMeeting.com as the program provider. Download that software in advance to be able to see the screen and video.
2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) – a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.
Dial +1 (619) 550-0000
Access Code: 481-005-045