Venturing is a youth development program of the Boy Scouts of America for young men and women who are 14 years of age or 13 years of age and have completed the eighth grade and under 21 years of age.
Venturing is based on a unique and dynamic relationship between youth, adult leaders, and organizations in their communities. Local community organizations establish a Venturing crew by matching their people and program resources to the interests of young people in the community. The result is a program of exciting and meaningful activities that helps youth pursue their special interests, grow, develop leadership skills and become good citizens.
Join Venturing, Today!
- Find a local crew in your neighborhood and visit www.beascout.org.
- You can also fill out a form of interest and we will contact you.
Activities Available in Venturing
What a Venturing crew does is limited only by the imagination and involvement of the adult and youth leaders and members of the crew:
- Sail the ocean
- Produce a play
- Climb a mountain
- Learn to SCUBA dive
- Teach disabled people to swim
- Leadership All Venturers are given opportunities to learn and apply proven leadership skills. A Venturing crew is led by elected crew officers. The Venturing Leadership Skills Course is designed for all Venturers and helps teach them in an active way to lead effectively
- Group Activities Venturing activities are interdependent group experiences in which success is dependent on the cooperation of all.
- Adult Association. The youth officers lead the crew. The officers and activity chairs work closely with adult Advisors and other adult leaders in a spirit of partnership. The adults serve in a “shadow” leader capacity.
- Recognition Recognition comes through the Venturing advancement program and through the acknowledgement of a youth’s competence and ability by peers and adults.
- The Ideals Venturers are expected to know and live the Venturing Oath and Code. They promise to be faithful in religious duties, treasure their American heritage, help others, and seek truth and fairness.
- High Adventure Venturing’s emphasis on high adventure helps provide team-building opportunities, new meaningful experiences, practical leadership application and lifelong memories.
- Teach Others All of the Venturing awards require Venturers to teach what they have learned to others.
The Venturing Oath
As a Venturer, I promise to do my duty to God and help strengthen America, to help others, and to seek truth, fairness, and adventure in our world.
The Venturing Code
As a Venturer, I believe that America’s strength lies in our trust in God and in the courage, strength, and traditions of our people.
I will, therefore, be faithful in my religious duties and will maintain a personal sense of honor in my own life.
I will treasure my American heritage and will do all I can to preserve and enrich it.
I will recognize the dignity and worth of all humanity and will use fair play and goodwill in my daily life.
I will acquire the Venturing attitude that seeks truth in all things and adventure on the frontiers of our changing world.
If you have any questions, please contact Venturing Advisor, Joe Gaudet at Joe.Gaudet@scouting.org or 408.638.8350.